If you find the right doctor, then you are in safe hands. If you consult the wrong one, then you are up for some very serious troubles. Medical misdiagnoses and mistreatments are not unheard of. There have been innumerable cases of medical negligence in the past. Whether intentional or a mistake, it is the patient who pays dearly.
Don’t make presumptions, don’t harbor doubts and certainly don’t settle for anything short of the best regardless of your medical needs. Here are five secrets of finding the right doctor that everyone should always adhere to.
- The first step is to go for specialists. Many families have a physician who would always be called up in times of need. Most people have the tendency to discuss all health problems and medical conditions with their family physician without realizing that he or she is not the competent authority for every ailment. You can indulge in general consultations and even get advice pertaining to normal health issues that arise from time to time, but you cannot trust their advice on cases that requires specialized intervention. You need a dentist for your oral health, an ENT specialization for ears, nose and throat or a dermatologist for skin ailments. Don’t allow your general physician to recommend a cream for rashes without deciphering why you have the rashes in the first place.
- Do not take referrals at their face value. Many people ask their physicians or doctors they know to recommend a specialist. In some cases, such referrals do work well. But in most cases, the referrals are motivated. There are quid pro quos in many scenarios where doctors recommend each other and get benefitted accordingly. There are networks or coteries that even facilitate exchange of commissions or a part of their fees when referrals lead to acquiring new patients. This may sound very dishonorable and unbecoming of a doctor but it is the reality.
- Always speak with patients if you wish to truly know what to expect from a doctor. Patients who have been treated or who have gone on for second opinions will often give you the true lucid picture of what the reality is.
- Speak with the hospital or clinic staff to gauge how great a doctor is. A doctor who has credible authority will be loved by their staff, simply because the work he or she can do and how the staff get trained and technically helped by the doctor.
- Choose a doctor who is respected by other doctors. You would always find some doctors who are celebrated. They actually train the trainers or are doctors who doctors trust.